Monday, October 4, 2010

Brie and Pear Sandwich


Today I acquired couple pounds of Reny Picot Brie from work  (a positive start to the week), so naturally it was cheese for dinner!

When I was 11, my brother and I would melt cheese and eat it plain with a spoon until our mom, fed up with scrubbing the crusted remains from the bowl, put a permanent moratorium on this practice. While gooey melted oily shredded cheddar was really quite spectacular in fifth grade, the Brie I took home tonight deserved a slightly more grown-up, sophisticated treatment.

Brie, a soft French-style cheese with a tender white (and delicious) rind, works great with contrasting textures and flavors, but its delicate taste easily can be overpowered. So I paired this cheese with sweet and subtle pairs and raisins, both sauteed in a dash of cinnamon, and added some crunchy walnuts. I piled these atop baby greens and multi-grain toast, and for a bit of zest sprinkled it with a mixture of ginger and white wine vinegar. Voilà!

RNA

No comments:

Post a Comment