Thursday, January 13, 2011

Quick Dinner

Hello there.  DNA is still around!  These days I'm taking classes and applying for grad school and all that jazz (it never seems to stop) but, taking a break to Blogger!

After getting back from my 6-8:15 class, I don't feel like making a big elaborate dinner.  Something I can whip together in half an hour sounds mighty good.  So voila!

Quick Dinner.
Yeppers.  Not very much cooking required.  I picked up some salmon sashimi from Marukai on the way back (discounted prepped sushi and sashimi from 7:30-close, gotta love that), and figured I'd just make some brown rice & sprinkle some egg-and-bonito furikake over it and throw in some kimchi (There's regular napa kimchi, chive kimchi, and then not really kimchi but Japanese pickled plums.  A single serving of rice takes about half an hour, but it didn't take that long to throw the rest of it together so I made my new favorite soup:

New favorite soup.
That's daikon, carrot, and burdock simmered for about half an hour with some miso paste thrown in for good measure.  And just for the heck of it, I decided to bust out the iced jasmine tea I also got a Marukai ($2.49, uber-sale!)

It probably wasn't a good idea to have kimchi with the salmon sashimi (although I know some Korean restaurants serve sashimi as hwe dup bap, with the obligatory sides of course), because this particular salmon was a little bland...and not that great of a consistency.  Ehh, I guess that's what I get for getting cheap sashimi.  (Which sadly, is one of those items that 'cheap' should never precede...but I went against my own advice this time.  'Cheap' is usually fine before, say, fruits and vegetables.)  Sorry, Marukai..

Still though, not bad!  The soup was pretty darn good & kimchi is never a bad thing. 
Anyway, I have about half a pack of leftover sashimi, but I think I'm just going to sear it tomorrow morning & cover it in furikake.

I'll try not to disappear for a few months again, because I have some exciting posts coming up later this month: another year has passed, and that means my top tunes of 2010!  Top 10 albums & Top 100 singles are done and will be up pretty soon, and depending on how feisty I get, I may do a Top something-or-other worst of the year.  Haha.  But best of all, another live Top 50 countdown is in the works, so stay tuned!

DNA 

No comments:

Post a Comment