Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday Salad: Caprese


Saturday mornings I like to trip down to the Dane County Farmers' Market  on Madison's Capitol Square. Usual routine: strawberry-rhubarb turnover (if they're not sold out!) from Pilgrim's Pantry, Magic Coffee from Cafe Soleil, one time around the square to browse, and a second time 'round to buy. This morning I snagged my turnover and headed across Pinckney St. to grab that iced brown sugar concoction I was craving, only to find the storefront was Under Construction and the cafe was gone. After settling for a sub-par iced coconut latte from elsewhere, I discovered that Cafe Soleil in fact had moved just up Pinckney St. to the old U.S. Bank building and was serving Magic Coffee on the outside patio. How did I miss this? I restrained from spending another $4 on coffee and kicked myself the entire drive home. Good thing my Suzuki is an automatic.

The market find of the morning was the fullest, greenest, largest bunch of basil I have ever seen for only $1. Therefore, lunch today consisted of one of my favorite summer meals, caprese salad: mixed greens, leaves from one stem of basil, garden tomatoes, and whole milk fresh Mozzarella. A light vinaigrette would have been perfect, but I only had goddess dressing, which kind of covered up the salad's natural flavors but wasn't too bad. For some character, I garnished the caprese with crunchy lentil and potato curls from Trader Joe's. What a photogenic salad.

RNA     

No comments:

Post a Comment